Uribe (2019) replication

Dear all,
I am totally new with Dynare and I am trying to replicate in Dynare the DSGE model of Uribe (2018) from this article: Uribe (2019), The Neo-Fisher Effect, Econometric Evidence from Empirical and Optimizing Model.pdf (326.7 KB). I reported the parameter values (p.33-34) as my starting values and I manage to complete my model block and my initval block. The problem is when I run the resid(1) command for the residuals of the static equations, one equation is not equal to zero. Maybe I have an error in my model block, but I can’t find it. I don’t know if it’s because of this but my results when i run the stoch_simul are far from Uribe (2019). Can you help me with this?

Uribe Matlab code : www.columbia.edu/~mu2166/neoFisher/index.htm
(particularly the nk_ss.m file and the nk_model.m file from optimizing.zip)

My .mod file: uribe2019_v030820.mod (2.9 KB)

Thanks

Hello everyone,

I still have the same problem, I search in this forum and in the Dynare manual but could not find an answer.
Can anyone could help me with this?

Best regards

To aid debugging, I would suggest to make use of Dynare’s \LaTeX-capabilties and tagging the equations to see what you implemented.

Hi,

First of all thank you for your answer. With the use of the Latex command and with a steady state file I managed to solve my first problem (all resid(1) = 0 now and the steady state looks good).

However, my results (IRFs and variance decomposition) are still differents from Uribe (p.37-38). I suspect errors in my shocks block since the direction of the IRFs is good but not the magnitude (see pictures) . I tried the relative_irf option without success. Do you have any idea what could be the problem?

new mod file: uribe_v110820.mod (3.2 KB)
steady_state file: uribe_v110820_steadystate.m (3.9 KB)

My IRFs:

Uribe:

You need to define auxiliary variables for:

1. log output (to consider percent deviations)
  2. the annualized interest rate instead of the quarterly one

Hello professor,

thank you again for your help. I just want to clarify exactely what I need to do for each point.

1. I search in this forum for auxiliary variables to consider percent deviations and I found two way to do this. The first one is to do yhat = log(y) (as in https://github.com/JohannesPfeifer/DSGE_mod/blob/master/RBC_baseline/RBC_baseline.mod) and add yhat to my stoch simul.
    The second method is to do yhat2 = log(y) -log(steady_state(y)) (as in https://github.com/JohannesPfeifer/DSGE_mod/blob/master/Jermann_Quadrini_2012/Jermann_Quadrini_2012_RBC/Jermann_Quadrini_2012_RBC.mod) and add yhat2 to my stoch simul.
    Wich one I should use?

2. For the interest rate and the inflation variables, to obtain the deviation from pre-shock level in percentage points per year should I only add auxiliary variables like: iratehat = irate * 4 and inflation = inflation * 4? Or should I do something more like: iratehat2 = log(irate) -log(steady_state(irate)) * 4?

Finally I have some difficulties to implement the permanent interest shock. I need to insure that the initial shock increases the permanent component of the interest rate and inflation by 0.25 percent per quarter or 1 percent per year. Is there an easy way to do this in Dynare like the endval command in deterministic model?

Thank you again for your useful help!

1. For IRFs that does not matter as they show deviations from the steady state at order=1 .
  2. That depends on how you measure this. If they are net interest rates like 0.01 for 1 percent, then you only need to multiply by 4. If they are gross rates like 1.01 for 1 percent, then it’s four times the log.
  3. Yes, you can do this with endval for the exogenous variable in a perfect foresight context. Alternatively, you can have a unit root stochastic process for stochastic simulations.