Question about estimation

I have a question about estimation. How is the file with quarterly panel data constructed? I use excel file with five columns for five variables, as well as two columns for country and quarter, but I get error message.

error: findobj: properties and options must be strings

Data.xls (79.5 KB)

1 Like

What exactly are you trying to do?

Iā€™m trying to do an estimation based on panel data from real world, using a type of Metropolis-Hastings algorythm - Random Walk Metropolis.
Model.mod (2.6 KB)

But how do you want to incorporate the panel structure into DSGE estimation?

Iā€™m not sure. I linearize the non-linear system of equations and then solve the system using Blanchard Kahn method for system reduction. Finally, I want to do an estimation. First, I set priors, second, to estimate model parameters, I use likelihood function ā€œKalman filterā€ and finally, to obtain a posterior distribution, I use Markov Chain Monte Carlo simulations (Metropolis-Hastings algorythm).

What I mean is: what makes it a panel? Do you simply want to pool all observations and treat them as one unit?

Oh, I want to treat observations as three units, i.e. countries Slovenia, Austria and Italy.

But how is estimation of a DSGE model with a panel data structure supposed to work?

I donā€™t have any experience with estimation of DSGE models. Iā€™m trying to replicate the structural parameter stability tests, as conducted by Mr Oke Rƶhe (a comparison of parameter instability between countries).

If panel data estimation doesnā€™t work, I could pool observations together I guess, and then do the instability tests for each country separatly?

What exactly is the reference?

I am attaching short version and here is full PhD thesis: https://d-nb.info/1026165547/34 (around page 62/262)

Jerger Roehe 2011.pdf (261.6 KB)

But that paper estimates the model for one country at a time.

Okay, thank you, so how do I construct Excel file for one country-estimation? Using file in attachment, I still get error message:

Data.xls (55.5 KB)
Model.mod (2.5 KB)

What is the full error message? I am getting

Estimation: the ā€˜estimated_paramsā€™ block is mandatory (unless you are running a smoother)

I obtain a table of ā€œApproximated coefficients of correlationā€ and charts as output, followed by just this line:

Iā€™m running Dynare version 4.6.1 on Octave version 5.2.0. I attached print screen.

That looks like an Octave issue. Can you try Dynare 5.4 with Octave 8.1?

I tried, now I obtain yet another error:

error: set: invalid handle (= 1)
error: called from
print at line 492 column 8
dyn_saveas at line 42 column 5
stoch_simul at line 353 column 25
driver at line 375 column 27
dynare at line 278 column 5

Did you close a figure that was popping up?

Yes, otherwise everything freezesā€¦

So that explains the error message. How long did you wait to judge that everything freezes?