Initval vs steady_state_model: The steadystate file did not compute the steady state

Hi,

I tried to play with a very simple model in dynare (see attached). I can solve it by specifying the initial values, but when I tried to use steady_state_model, it won’t give me the solution. It keeps telling me “The steadystate file did not compute the steady state”.

Here’s the dynare code:
a.mod (1.1 KB)

Here’s the full error message:

Error using print_info (line 32)
The steadystate file did not compute the steady state

Error in steady (line 102)

• print_info(info,options_.noprint, options_);*

Error in a.driver (line 188)
steady;

Error in dynare (line 293)
evalin(‘base’,[fname ‘.driver’]) ;

Could anyone help me with this problem? Thank you in advance!!

exp(c)^(sigma)=beta*exp(c(+1))^(-sigma)*(1+exp(r));

is wrong. There is a minus in the exponent missing.

1 Like

Thank you so much! Prof. Pfeifer! I really appreciate your help!

Hi

I am replicating the open economy model with money (chapter 13. The ABCs of RBCs) and encountering similar error message “The steadystate file did not compute the steady state”
Any guide to tackle the problem would be much appreciated.
OEM.mod (2.2 KB)

See

Your xss is negative for some reason.

Hi Prof. Pfeifer

Many thanks. As advised, I used the variable in level not in exp(). But, unfortunately, I received the same error. However, the model runs with initvals? I have uploaded the edited .mod file.
I often encounter this problem i.e. model run with initval but not with steady state model block. Could you please advise the source of error and how to handle.

Best
Saidul
OEM2.mod (2.0 KB)

I don’t have access to the book chapter, so I cannot check the implementation.

Hi

I have uploaded here scanned pages of relevant section. Could you please take a look it and guide me to resolve the issue? Thank you

Saidul

Chapter 13-ABCsofRBCs.pdf (2.5 MB)

The problem is M/P. See DSGE_mod/McCandless_2008_Chapter_13.mod at master · JohannesPfeifer/DSGE_mod · GitHub

Hi Prof. Pfeifer

Great, thank you so much! There was one more typo in the steady state equation for labor.

Best
Saidul

Hi,

I could find the steady state of my model analytically (with the assumption of L=1/3 for each agent) and the model works properly in Dynare. However, when I use the steady state numbers as initial values in the initval section, Dynare cannot find steady state and it gives lots of Nan and Inf. What can cause this problem?

modelwithss.mod (16.5 KB)
modelwithinitval.mod (14.9 KB)

But you are not doing that. The steady state displayed in the one file differs greatly from the values in the initval-block.

Dear Professor, I would like to ask you a question:
In the Bayesian estimation process of the DSGE model, the conventional approach is to change the “initval” module to the “steady_state_mode” module. But if the steady state of the model is not calculated in the “initval” module of the mod file, but is calculated by a separate m file, then what should be done when performing Bayesian estimation

Please do not double-post. See my reply at

2 posts were split to a new topic: RBC model: steady state fails