X13 seasonal adjustedment does not work on Mac

Hi professor, I was trying to apply x13 to my data, however, the error said:

What does it mean. How can I solve this problem. Could you please give me a hint. Thank you so much.

Do you have codes to replicate the issue?

testx13.zip (5.0 KB)
Thank you for your help. I am uploading the zip file for your reference. Thank you so much.

I cannot replicate the issue on my Windows machine. @wmutschl can you check on your mac?

Yes I can replicate this on my mac, very weird because on my Linux machine I don’t get this error. So this seems to be mac specific, I’ll investigate this.

Could you run the following commands in a terminal (not MATLAB command window):

/Applications/Dynare/5.2/matlab/modules/dseries/src/../externals/x13/macOS/64/x13as
ls /usr/local/opt/gcc/lib/gcc
ls /opt/homebrew/opt/gcc/lib/gcc

and post the result?

On my machine I get either the following for the Intel version of Dynare:

dyld[7402]: Library not loaded: '/usr/local/opt/gcc/lib/gcc/11/libgfortran.5.dylib'
  Referenced from: '/Applications/Dynare/5.2-x86_64/matlab/modules/dseries/externals/x13/macOS/64/x13as'
  Reason: tried: '/usr/local/opt/gcc/lib/gcc/11/libgfortran.5.dylib' (no such file), '/usr/local/lib/libgfortran.5.dylib' (no such file), '/usr/lib/libgfortran.5.dylib' (no such file)

or the following error for Dynare’s ARM version:

dyld[7233]: Library not loaded: '/opt/homebrew/opt/gcc/lib/gcc/11/libgfortran.5.dylib'
  Referenced from: '/Applications/Dynare/5.2-arm64/matlab/modules/dseries/externals/x13/macOS/64/x13as'
  Reason: tried: '/opt/homebrew/opt/gcc/lib/gcc/11/libgfortran.5.dylib' (no such file), '/usr/local/lib/libgfortran.5.dylib' (no such file), '/usr/lib/libgfortran.5.dylib' (no such file)

So for me this was related to different versions of gcc and the required libraries. I had version 12 installed while we use version 11 to compile x13as. So a quick fix is to symlink the folder with the libraries. That is,

• If you’ve installed the Intel version (i.e. you get missing libraries with the above command in the /usr/local folder), then run the following:
ln -s /usr/local/opt/gcc/lib/gcc/12 /usr/local/opt/gcc/lib/gcc/11
  • If you’ve installed the ARM version (i.e. you get missing libraries with the above command in the /opt/homebrew folder), then run the following:
ln -s /opt/homebrew/opt/gcc/lib/gcc/12 /opt/homebrew/opt/gcc/lib/gcc/11

But maybe @sebastien has a more elegant way of fixing this?

Thank you so much Professor for your help. I followed what you post and this is the result. When I run the first command, it showed

dyld[3128]: Library not loaded: /usr/local/opt/gcc/lib/gcc/11/libgfortran.5.dylib
  Referenced from: /Applications/Dynare/5.2/matlab/modules/dseries/externals/x13/macOS/64/x13as
  Reason: tried: '/usr/local/opt/gcc/lib/gcc/11/libgfortran.5.dylib' (no such file), '/usr/local/lib/libgfortran.5.dylib' (no such file), '/usr/lib/libgfortran.5.dylib' (no such file)

Then I run the second command, it said:

ln: /usr/local/opt/gcc/lib/gcc/11: No such file or directory

It seemed still not successful, because the x13 didn’t worked. I post the whole picture here for your reference.How can I solve this problem? Thank you so much again.

I see that you don’t have homebrew installed. Normally, we ship a local homebrew install with the package but for x13as this is somehow not picking up, which is a bug that we would need to fix in a future release. To solve your problem right now, install homebrew and gcc. That is, in the terminal, first install the Intel version of homebrew:

arch -x86_64 /bin/bash -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/HEAD/install.sh)"

and then the gcc package:

brew install gcc

Lastly, do the symbolic linking;

ln -s /usr/local/opt/gcc/lib/gcc/12 /usr/local/opt/gcc/lib/gcc/11

Thank you so much Professor. I followed your command and the problem was successfully solve. Thank you again!

Hi, I have the same issue but your suggested fix for some reason does not work.

My steps:

1. first, I run
/Applications/Dynare/5.2/matlab/modules/dseries/src/../externals/x13/macOS/64/x13as
ls /usr/local/opt/gcc/lib/gcc
ls /opt/homebrew/opt/gcc/lib/gcc

I get the outcome

dyld[47156]: Library not loaded: '/usr/local/opt/gcc/lib/gcc/11/libgfortran.5.dylib'
  Referenced from: '/Applications/Dynare/5.2/matlab/modules/dseries/externals/x13/macOS/64/x13as'
zsh: abort      
ls: /usr/local/opt/gcc/lib/gcc: No such file or directory

which is the same to your error for dynare’s Intel version.

1. installed gcc, using brew install gcc

2. If I do ln -s /usr/local/opt/gcc/lib/gcc/12 /usr/local/opt/gcc/lib/gcc/11,
    I get ln: /usr/local/opt/gcc/lib/gcc/11: No such file or directory

3. If I do ln -s /opt/homebrew/opt/gcc/lib/gcc/12 /opt/homebrew/opt/gcc/lib/gcc/11,
    I get ln: /opt/homebrew/opt/gcc/lib/gcc/11/12: File exists

After all these steps, I continue getting the same errors
Thanks

P.s. my mac is m1 but I use dynare’s intel version

You should have tagged @wmutschl

@burgerino: have you fixed your issue?