Using previous mode file

Hi there,

I wanted to ask about the option of using previous mode file to speed up the estimation. In the Bayesian estimation, there is an potion to specify mode_file and set mode_compute = 0. If I do so, does it mean that Dynare will use my previous results only as an approximation which need to be improved? What if I use mode_file with data for another country that data.mat file? Will my result be wrong?

Regards,
Pavel

Hi,

“mode_compute=0” means you don’t wanna compute the mode of your model. In that case, you usually need to call a previous mode computation referring to a particular model and data set, using the following instruction “mode_file=filename_mode” (where filename is the name of ur mod-file) in order to run replications for Metropolis Hasting or simulations for instance.

Note that you can find a more detailed explanation about the use of this option, p.53 of the Dynare User Guide.

hope this helps

Hi,

thanks for writing. I know that the DYNARE manual is not complete enough, that is the reason, why I usually need to read the DYNARE source code itself. But at this moment I don’t have enough time to do the complete research about the option “mode_compute = 0”, so I wanted to ask more experienced DYNARE users.

Regards,
Pavel

Actually, an answer to my question can be found on the DynareWiki: dynare.org/DynareWiki/KnownBugs

Pavel