Up-to-date linux repositories for downloading dynare-matlab?

I tried sudo apt-get install dynate-matlab and it seems that version hosted is to out of date to work with matlab 2019a

Is there some other package manager I should use?

Hi,

The Dynare Team does not directly provide GNU/Linux packages for Dynare.

So you have basically two options: either upgrade to a more recent version of your GNU/Linux distribution, or compile from source.

Out of curiosity: which distribution are you using? (and which version of the distribution)

Best,

Thanks for the response. I’m Ubuntu 18.0.4 LTS, so its not like I’m super behind.

I tried to build from source and ran into some problems. But I think what I’m doing is overkill? Shouldn’t I just install one of these .tar files here for debian and run a make script? If so, how do I do that?

I installed it and extracted it but am not sure how to compile it. There are fewer instructions for this than for the repository on gitlab. I could be mis-understanding the purpose of those .tar files though.

Sure 18.04 is not super behind, but since it was released more than one year and a half ago, it is not suprising that it cannot handle MATLAB R2019a. It includes Dynare 4.5.4, which is unfortunately too old.

So one option is to upgrade to Ubuntu 19.04 or 19.10, which have Dynare 4.5.7 and therefore should work with MATLAB R2019a.

Another option is to try to install the binary packages from Ubuntu 19.04 on your system, though I can’t guarantee that this will work. See this page: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dynare/4.5.7-1/+build/16383410

Yet another option is to recompile the Ubuntu source package (which indeed come unmodified from Debian), which correspond to the tarball that you are referring to. For this you need to use Debian-specific commands for recompiling source package. Use dpkg-source -x *.dsc to unpack the source package, then install the build dependencies with apt build-dep . (run from the source directory), then compile it with dpkg-buildpackage.

And the last option is to recompile Dynare from source (not using Debian packaging), as explained in our documentation.

I may decide to update to 19.04. If I do that, what is the expectation of success? Do people seem to have success with downloading dynare and dynare-matlab from apt on newer versions?

I don’t use Ubuntu and we don’t have much feedback from Ubuntu users, so I can’t tell you for sure.

What is sure is that Ubuntu 19.04 includes Dynare 4.5.7, which is compatible with MATLAB R2019a.

Thanks I will try this next week.

I’m confused by the lack of linux binaries. Is Dynare not commonly used on university clusters? (I am not on a cluster, but am curious)

I don’t understand what you mean. In the GNU/Linux world, distributions are the normal way of obtaining binaries, and Dynare is indeed present in several popular distributions: Debian, Ubuntu, Arch Linux, Linux Mint.

We don’t have enough manpower to maintain binaries for more distributions (in particular, it would be good to have a Fedora package), and we don’t have the time either to maintain backports of newer Dynare releases for older distributions (which would have benefited you in the present case).

Of course, you are more than welcome to help.

I am on Ubuntu and Dynare works smoothly the way @sebastien explained above. For Ubuntu we explain all steps explicitly on https://git.dynare.org/Dynare/dynare. Also whenever I use Dynare on the university cluster (which runs CentOS) I simply clone the git repository, checkout either the stable or unstable version, and recompile Dynare from source, as explained in our documentation. Works fine for me and our cluster. Of course you (or your Admin) have to install some dependencies first. But once this is done, compilation is easy.