We have evaluated the results of Dynare’s user survey. One thing that came up frequently was a wish for more tutorials and examples on all the features Dynare offers. Albeit the manual covers most of it, it is a reference but not a user guide. Note that there is an outdated user guide which we do not support anymore, and which has also several errors in it.
So we decided that a milestone of Dynare 4.7 should be better documentation and a new user guide. I am quite thankful that Johannes Pfeifer took the lead here; however, I will also post and update my teaching materials as written tutorials as well as videos online. I hope this is useful.
You can find everything on a dedicated subpage: Dynare and on my YouTube Channel.
Online Courses and Materials
You might find the following courses useful as they heavily make use of Dynare:
Please let me know of other courses that helped you on your journey with Dynare, so I can update the list.
The following videos are already online (newest are on top):
- k-order perturbation for DSGE: tensor vs matrix, Einstein summation, Faà Di Bruno, tensor unfolding
- What does it mean to numerically compute the steady-state in Dynare vs MATLAB
- Understanding Dynare’s Preprocessor OR How to manually preprocess a DSGE model (with MATLAB)
- Algebra of New Keynesian Models with Calvo price rigidities
- Quick Tour Dynare (focus on solution methods and simulations)
- New Keynesian Model: Zero-Lower-Bound and Optimal Monetary Policy in Dynare
- Method of Moments (GMM and SMM) Estimation in Dynare 4.7 and 5
- Identification Analysis of DSGE model parameters with Dynare
- New Keynesian Model: Optimal Policy in Dynare
- RBC Baseline Model in Dynare: Deterministic vs Stochastic Simulations
- RBC Baseline Model in Dynare: Simple vs Advanced Calibration using Modularization and Changing Types
- RBC Baseline Model: steady-state derivations and implementation in Dynare (with preprocessing tips)
- RBC Baseline Model Equations and Introduction to preprocessing with Dynare
- 4 methods to compute the steady state of a DSGE model in Dynare
- How to debug and report Dynare errors
- Dynare parallel on Windows: setup and example
- Dynare parallel on macOS: setup and example
- Dynare parallel on Ubuntu Linux: setup and example
There are also several videos on how to install Dynare with MATLAB or Octave on Windows, macOS and Linux.
Plan for future videos
If you want a tutorial on a specific topic, please let me know via email or in this thread.
Help is much appreciated
Of course, the video most likely will contain errors, so I’d appreciate if you let me know, so I can either correct these in the description of the videos or, if it is a very severe one, remake the video. Contributions of videos or scripts are very much appreciated!