Tutorials, courses, guides and setup instructions on YouTube

We have evaluated the results of Dynare’s user survey. One thing that came up frequently was a wish for more tutorials and examples on all the features Dynare offers. Albeit the manual covers most of it, it is a reference but not a user guide. Note that there is an outdated user guide which we do not support anymore, and which has also several errors in it.

So we decided that a milestone of Dynare 4.7 should be better documentation and a new user guide. I am quite thankful that Johannes Pfeifer took the lead here; however, I will also post and update my teaching materials as written tutorials as well as videos online. I hope this is useful.

You can find everything on a dedicated subpage: Dynare and on my YouTube Channel.

Online Courses and Materials

You might find the following courses useful as they heavily make use of Dynare:

Please let me know of other courses that helped you on your journey with Dynare, so I can update the list.

Finished videos

The following videos are already online (newest are on top):

There are also several videos on how to install Dynare with MATLAB or Octave on Windows, macOS and Linux.

Plan for future videos

If you want a tutorial on a specific topic, please let me know via email or in this thread.

Help is much appreciated

Of course, the video most likely will contain errors, so I’d appreciate if you let me know, so I can either correct these in the description of the videos or, if it is a very severe one, remake the video. Contributions of videos or scripts are very much appreciated!

19 Likes

Excellent. Thanks so much.

Please make video on calculating parameter values in Dynare.

Awesome!!! Many thanks!!!

What do you mean by this?

Thank you for your response.
You have given the values of the parameters(coefficients). But how can one determine those values in the first place?

Awaiting response.

Thanks

It is able to perform simulations of the
model given a calibration of the model parameters and is also able to estimate these parameters given a dataset.

this line in the ref manual of dynare. I meant asking you how to do the later part, that is, estimate the parameters given the dataset.

awaiting response.

Could be interesting a tutorial on Optimal Policy with the related multiple methods (OSR, LQA or Ramsey)

@wmutschl: If you need any support from the community in order to facilitate the production of the SW (2007) tutorial, please let me know.

Yes please, if you have any material you would like to share that be awesome, just write me an email (willi@mutschler.eu) and we can chat about that.

I am on parental leave, so production of further videos will take some time. Sorry about that.

Hi! This is great!

I think It would be nice to have a tutorial on bayesian estimation. Another topic of interest is the estimation of models containing unit roots using the diffuse kalman filter.

4 Likes

Excellent. Thanks so much.

please make a video installing and configuring Dynare in macOS! I have several difficulties configuring it. My Octave simply does not recognize my Dynare… I just published a new topic on that

Thank You so much

I’ve updated this thread with some completed videos and a future plan. Please keep commenting in this thread so I am aware of videos you would be interested in. Of course, the video most likely will contain errors, so I’d appreciate if you let me know, so I can either correct these in the description of the videos or, if it is a very severe one, remake the video.

Thanks!

5 Likes

Thank you a lot for your work @wmutschl and prof. Pfeifer, I mainly used your github materials / youtube videos to get started on dynare.

Nonetheless, it would be great if you could make some tutorials on bayesian estimation in dynare (from scratch: mh_replic, mode_compute, mh_jscale, etc).

Thanks a lot

1 Like

this is really good post, thank you for sharing with us

Thanks so much...

Thank you so much for the great tutorials.
I would like to request for a video/tutorial on implementing an endogenous policy regime switch via e.g. Markov Chain technique. See e.g. R. Mao et al (2023) or Davig et al (2010). I look forward to your exposition on this.