Running Dynare on a Server

Hi Dynare friends,

I need to run Dynare on a Linux server (which has Matlab installed). In principle, I guess that I would move the dynare folder to my home directory, add the path and run dynare from there. However, I see that I have to somehow “mount” the source file in order to run Dynare on Linux. Could someone give me a quick description of what I should do to get Dynare running? Sorry if I’m asking too much and thank you in advance.

So I unpacked the source code on the server, but I still get an error when running ./configure , it says the boost libraries could not be detected. An older thread recommended downloading the boost stuff, unpacking it to some folder and running

./configure BOOST_CPPFLAGS=/path/to/boost

But I still get the error saying that the boost libraries could not be found. Is my syntax correct? Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Cannot you install libraries on your server (with apt-get for instance)? You should follow the installation instructions given here.

Best,
Stéphane.

Hi Stephane,

Thank you for your reply. I have no install permissions on the server, and was wondering if it would be ok to just unpack the libraries in my home directory and provide a path to them while configuring dynare. Do I really need to have them installed? I am using the computing grid of a large university and this would take a considerable amount of time I guess. Is there a way around this?

Thanks,

Hi,

Check the output of ./configure --help :

(…)

Optional Packages:
  --with-PACKAGE=ARG]    use PACKAGE [ARG=yes]
  --without-PACKAGE       do not use PACKAGE (same as --with-PACKAGE=no)
  --with-boost=DIR]      use boost (default is yes) - it is possible to
                          specify the root directory for boost (optional)
  --with-boost-libdir=LIB_DIR
                          Force given directory for boost libraries. Note that
                          this will overwrite library path detection, so use
                          this parameter only if default library detection
                          fails and you know exactly where your boost
                          libraries are located.
  --with-matio=DIR        prefix to MATIO installation
  --with-blas=<lib>       use BLAS library <lib>
  --with-lapack=<lib>     use LAPACK library <lib>
  --without-pthread       don't use POSIX threads
  --with-matlab=ARG       check for MATLAB [yes]]

(…)

Depending on what you want to do some packages are mandatory. Maybe another possibility would be to compile Dynare on your PC by statically linking the needed libraries… But I do not know how to do this (if possible).

Best,
Stéphane.

wow that is great! Sorry for being a UNIX analphabet, but I believe that --with-boost-libdir=LIB_DIR option is precisely what I need. I know that I have the libraries, but for some reason .\configure fails to detect them. Thank you so much!