Rubio, Carrasco-Gallego (2014) Basel I, II and III: A Welfar

Dear Dynare-Users,

I have been trying hard to replicate the model of Rubio and Carrasco-Gallego “Basel I, II and III: A Welfare Analysis using a DSGE Model”. But for the parameter given in the paper my model does not fullfills the BK conditions.

So perhaps does anyone of you have the code for this model?
Or a code for similar model. The model should include savers, which save in deposits. Theses depositis are used by a bank to extend new loans. These loans are used by borrowers, which are impatient.

Has anyone experience with these kinds of models?

PLEASE, I NEED YOUR HELP.

I attach a not working version of a dynare code of the above mentioned model. My code is exaclty equal to all equations in the paper, but it still does not run. (However, the authors can present IRFs with their papermeter values and mention that they have used dynare to solve the model. SO WHY DOES MY CODE NOT WORK???)

The authors do not give me their code for replication. :frowning:

1 Like

I am also dealing with similar issues… I’ve tried without success to find the problem of your code…

In the meantime may I ask you how you want to evaluate the welfare for the different policies (basilea 1,2,3)? I saw you use in the model the welfare calculation, but how would you get the actual numbers?
After the stoch_simul command you have stoch_simul(irf=0,order=2,periods=0) WS WB WI Wsum. Is this just because you are still testing the model or you really want zero periods and irf?

Well, for the welfare analysis I only want to look at the theoretical means, so I do not need a simulation (periods = 0). Since for welfare comparison a irf investigation is not necessary, I set irf=0.

Thank you for looking into my code! You say, that you are dealing with the same problem. What model do you use?

I slightly changed the timing of equation 5 and 10 (in Rubio, Carrasco-Gallego (2014) Basel I, II and III:…). Instead of Rb_t I set the interest rate on loans to Rb_t-1, as this is the same timing as by the interest rate on deposits. This lets the model run. But the IRFs are only qualitively similar to the ones of the paper mentioned above.

Do you have a clue why?

Please do not use the code I have uploaded a time ago. There were mistakes in the code. I correct them and I will upload a new version, soon. This version will have capital accumulation, housing, a saver, a borrower and a bank, which has to fulfill a capital requirement ratio like suggested in Basel I, II and III. Also you will be able to investigate macroprudential rules and doing welfare analysis. I will also upload a pdf file which will explain the model and the derivation of the model equations.

I hope this will help you.

I have just uploaded the mod file and a pdf file as promised. I open a new topic, as it has nothing to do with this topic anymore.

see: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5700

Okay, here is the code for the paper mentioned above. One strange thing: the model runs perfectly as long as k is below 0.9 namley 0.8992. This is strange since the authors say that the model runs with a k = 0.90. The IRF are very similar to the ones of the paper when using 0.8992 instead of 0.90. This is not surprising since the values are very similar. BUT: has anyone an idea why the model does not run with k=0.90, although the authers are saying that it should run??

Has anyone try to replicate the results of the paper? Espcially the welfare results. I have no clue how they get the welare results? Anyone an idea?

(You have to download both files, the calcss.m calculates the steady states of the model.)
calcss.m (1.32 KB)
model.mod (3.53 KB)

If you are interested in replication this might be of interest to you: ReplicationWiki

Hello Daniel
Did you finally work out the welfare analysis part of the paper above? I’m also dealing with this this paper now. And I don’t know how exactly the authors figured out the welfare result. If you have done this, could you please tell me how to replicate the welfare part?
Many thanks.
Carson

Hi Carson, I am working on one of Rubio’s papers, perhaps we could aid eachother? How are you getting along?

Hi Daniel, I have read your code and I have a question that how to derive the SIG SIG2 and SIG3 in the calcss.m? I tried to solve the model like you but I failed, can you give me some tips of how to get the SIG SIG2 and SIG3? Thank you very much.:grin:

Hi,

The model by RCG (2014) is just a stripped-down version of Iacoviello (2015) ‘’'Financial Business Cycles".
I suggest you have a look at the original codes.
FBC_REPLICATION.zip (69.2 KB)
Moreover, this is the classical example of a model in which it is very convenient to use a steady-state file.

Thank you very much! You are so kind!