Problems on ramsey optimal policy and GMM

Dear all, I am quite a green hand to dynare. I receive the error message, when doing a application of Method-of-Moments toolbox estimation according to the youtube video released by 2021 dynare summer school.
In the environment of dynare 4.6.2, the warning message is
ERROR: BM_MM.mod: line 34, col 2: syntax error, unexpected ‘;’, expecting EQUAL or ‘.’
The code on ramsey optimal policy can run on the stable version 4.6.2, but cannot run on the latest version 4.8. But the toolbox of GMM is only available for 4.7 and 4.8.
In the environment of dynare 4.8, the warning message is "此类型的变量不支持使用点进行索引。

出错 evaluate_planner_objective (line 102)
ys = oo_.dr.ys;

出错 Baseline_Ramsey_Optimal0802new.driver (line 593)
oo_.planner_objective_value = evaluate_planner_objective(M_, options_, oo_);

出错 dynare (line 281)
evalin(‘base’,[fname ‘.driver’]);"

Any help is appreciated, thank you in advance!

Hi, thanks for sharing your experience. However, I am confused by the output you pasted! Which version of Dynare are you using? Also what commands do you use (and in which order)?

Dear professor,
I am really sorry for the time lag. I was trying to make it clear, but I had a problem with my computer so… At the very begining, I used the stable version of 4.6.2. to run this code, establishing a ramsey optimal policy :
Baseline_Ramsey_Optimal1101.mod (8.5 KB)

And this code ends up works well.
So I want to further the study to make some moments calibration, using the toolbox recommended by dynare summer school, which is only available on dynare 4.7 and 4.8.
And I found that my code above cannot works well on dynare 4.8-unstable-2021-10-28-1046-3f4040b. The error message is "此类型的变量不支持使用点进行索引。

出错 evaluate_planner_objective (line 102)
ys = oo_.dr.ys;

出错 Baseline_Ramsey_Optimal1101.driver (line 593)
oo_.planner_objective_value = evaluate_planner_objective(M_, options_, oo_);

出错 dynare (line 281)
evalin(‘base’,[fname ‘.driver’]);"
So I eventually cancelled the line " evaluate_planner_objective;" in the .inc file:
BM_MM.rar (17.1 KB)
And I finally get a graph of output. But I don’t know if this cancel of " evaluate_planner_objective;" is appropriate in dynare. Dear professor, thank you so much for the guiding video, they help me a lot on learning dynare. Many much thanks for the help! :grinning:
Best Regards
Haruka

GMM estimation is not supported in 4.6.2. You need 4.7 or later. But there were some breaking changes related to evaluate_planner_objective. See BreakingFeaturesIn4.7 · Wiki · Dynare / dynare · GitLab

Dear professor,
Thank you for the kindly reply. But, I still have no idea on how to deal with the error message about " evaluate_planner_objective;" I apologize for this stupid question in advence. :worried:
As in the wiki, in 4.6.2 dynare: " evaluate_planner_objective;" stores a 2 by 1 vector storing conditional welfare for steady state and zero Lagrange multipliers;
Is there any ways to change the code " evaluate_planner_objective;" in 4.8 of dynare to implement the function of “oo_.planner_objective_value.conditional”+“oo_.planner_objective_value.conditional.zero_initial_multiplier”, make it just working fluently in 4.8 as 4.6.2, without report a error message? I am really sorry for this question. Thank you for the time.
Best reguards
Haruka

I had a deeper look. The problem is that you are calling evaluate_planner_objective before computing the decision rules with stoch_simul.

1 Like

Dear professor
Many much thanks for the help! This finally fix my problem! :grinning:
Best reguards
Haruka