Problem in executing example1.mod

Hi guys,

I’m new to Dynare and I’m facing an issue in running the first example mod file (“example1.mod”). I’m using Matlab version R2019b and Dynare 4.5.7. on a MacBook Pro with macOS Catalina installed (version 10.15).

I’ve followed step by step the instructions for the quick start at Quick Start | Dynare.

In particular, I’ve installed Dynare, configured MATLAB for Dynare and created a new working director with example1.mod copied in it. Then, I changed the working directory in Matlab and I selected the one just created. However, when I run example1.mod, I get the following error message displayed:

dynare example1

Configuring Dynare …
[mex] Generalized QZ.
[mex] Sylvester equation solution.
[mex] Kronecker products.
[mex] Sparse kronecker products.
[mex] Local state space iteration (second order).
[mex] Bytecode evaluation.
[mex] k-order perturbation solver.
[mex] k-order solution simulation.
[mex] Quasi Monte-Carlo sequence (Sobol).
[mex] Markov Switching SBVAR.

Using 64-bit preprocessor
“/Applications/Dynare/4.5.7/matlab/preprocessor64/dynare_m” example1.mod: Aborted
Starting Dynare (version 4.5.7).
Starting preprocessing of the model file …
Assertion failed: (found != string::npos), function add_native_remove_charset, file ParsingDriver.cc, line 2739.

Error using dynare (line 229)
DYNARE: preprocessing failed

Do you have any suggestion to fix this issue? Thank you in advance for your help.

Niccolò

@HoutanBastani Another Catalina problem

Hi @niccat

Unfortunately no. Dynare 4.5.7 was created before Catalina and Matlab R2019b came out and hence is not guaranteed to work with them.

The options are either to downgrade your system or to compile locally.

Best,
Houtan