Preprocessing failed

Hi,

I wished to familiarize myself with Dynare but have encountered the following problem when trying the example .mod file

Configuring Dynare …
[mex] Generalized QZ.
[mex] Sylvester equation solution.
[mex] Kronecker products.
[mex] Sparse kronecker products.
[mex] Bytecode evaluation.
[mex] k-order perturbation solver.
[mex] k-order solution simulation.

“/Applications/Dynare/4.1.0/matlab/dynare_m” file.mod: Trace/breakpoint trap
dyld: unknown required load command 0x80000022

??? Error using ==> dynare at 126
DYNARE: preprocessing failed

I am working on a Mac OS 10.5 using Matlab 7.6.0 (R2008a).

Thanks to anyone able to help with this,

Nicolas Petrosky-Nadeau

Hi,

This looks like a crash in the preprocessor, this is not related to an error in the MOD file.

Are you using the Mac package of Dynare 4.1.0 distributed on the website, or did you recompile it by yourself?

Best,

Hi,

Thanks for looking into this post. I am using the package from the website. As a stop gap I installed Matlab on a Windows parallel on this machine and Dynare appears to run fine. I would, however, rather understand and fix the problem on the Mac side.

Best,

Nicolas

Dear Nicolas,

We have found the problem, though it may take a few days to fix it. Either Sébastien or I will reply to this post when the installation package has been fixed for 10.5 (for now, it only works on 10.6 or later).

Best,
Houtan

Hi

A new package has been uploaded on the website. It should fix your problem, but let us know if it doesn’t.

Best

Hello,

I am also using Matlab 7.6.0 (R2008a). However, I am running mac os x 10.4 and therefore installed dynare 4.0.4., since I don’t understand the instructions (provided on dynare.org/DynareWiki/Buildi … FromSource) for recompiling Dynare myself.

Anyway, I am encountering a similar problem (see below) while trying to run an example file. What do you recommend I do?

Many thanks,

Sebastian

dynare rbc_monopolistic.mod;

Configuring Dynare …
[mex] Generalized QZ.
[mex] Sylvester equation solution.
[mex] Kronecker products.
[mex] Sparse kronecker products.

“/Applications/dynare-4.0.4/matlab/dynare_m” rbc_monopolistic.mod: Segmentation fault
??? Error using ==> dynare at 96

I believe that package supports the PPC and Intel processors with OS X 10.5 only. In other words, it will not work on 10.4.

At this point, we only build packages for the intel processors running 10.5 or 10.6. However, you can probably build Dynare on your 10.4 machine. To do so, you should generally follow the instructions found here: dynare.org/DynareWiki/BuildingDynareFromSource, while making the necessary modifications for 10.4. It may be challenging to do this if you do not have a strong programming background.

Best,
Houtan

Thanks for the reply…
Unfortunately, I do not have a programming background. So I conclude I will not be able to use Dynare on my computer? Are you sure there’s no Dynare package that will work on Mac os x 10.4?
Thanks again,

Sebastian

Hi,

Sorry, we don’t provide support for Mac OS X 10.4. We don’t have the necessary hardware and time to do that. Please upgrade your system or recompile Dynare by hand.

Best,

Hi,

I just download dynare version 4.3.1 for Mac OS X after I received the release email today. However, I keep getting errors when I just open matlab, and also when I run my mod file…

Warning: Name is nonexistent or not a directory:
/Users/tzha/ZhaData/Git/TZcode/MatlabFiles.

In path at 110
In startup at 32
In matlabrc at 224
Warning: Name is nonexistent or not a directory:
/Users/tzha/ZhaData/Git/TZcode/MatlabFiles/MSV.
In path at 110
In startup at 33
In matlabrc at 224

Student License – for use in conjunction with courses offered at a
degree-granting institution. Professional and commercial use prohibited.

EDU>> addpath /Applications/Dynare/4.3.1/matlab/
EDU>> dynare stdy.mod

Configuring Dynare …
[m] Generalized QZ.
[m] Sylvester equation solution.
[m] Kronecker products.
[m] Sparse kronecker products.
[m] Local state space iteration (second order).
[no] Bytecode evaluation.
[no] k-order perturbation solver.
[no] k-order solution simulation.
[no] Quasi Monte-Carlo sequence (Sobol).
[no] Markov Switching SBVAR.

“/Applications/Dynare/4.3.1/matlab/dynare_m” stdy.mod: Segmentation fault
??? Error using ==> dynare at 114

Could you please tell me what is wrong?

Thank you!

What version of Matlab and OS X are you using?

Please post stdy.mod.

Finally, please send me the output of path right after you open Matlab.