Occasional Freezing While Configuring Dynare

Hi -

I am running dynare in a loop over parameter values using dynare 4.3.3 stable through Matlab R2011a using 64-bit windows 7.

Things work great, but occasionally the loop will freeze when Dynare is configuring. The following displays and then matlab totally freezes:

Configuring Dynare …
[mex] Generalized QZ.
[mex] Sylvester equation solution.
[mex] Kronecker products.
[mex] Sparse kronecker products.
[mex] Local state space iteration (second order).
[mex] Bytecode evaluation.
[mex] k-order perturbation solver.
[mex] k-order solution simulation.
[mex] Quasi Monte-Carlo sequence (Sobol).
[mex] Markov Switching SBVAR.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? What is the workaround?

Thanks,

Adam

Depending on what you are doing, don’t run Dynare in every step. See [Loop over parameters) for looping over stochastic simulations

Thanks. Is there any particular reason the configuration crashes when called repeatedly? Or is it just something that should be avoided?

Adam

Also the post you referenced is for the case where the steady state does not need to be recomputed. Is there an additional step if I recompute the steady state? Or does Dynare handle it when I do stoch_simul(])?

Adam

Whenever you call stoch_simul, it internally recomputes the steady state.

To those who have this issue in the future:

If you are changing the variance of the shock, look at the .m file created from the .mod file. In addition to stoch_simul, I had to update the variance-covariance matrix of the shocks M_.Sigma_e.

Adam

You are right. The set_param_value command only refers to structural parameters. You cannot set standard deviations or measurement error defined in the shocks-block this way. You either have to set M_.Sigma_e directly, or calibrate the shock variances to 1 and use in the model

instead of

The structural parameter sigma_eps now contains the standard deviation and can be set using the set_param_value command. I have updated the referred post to reflect this information.