Notation Issues

Hi All,

I have two questions:

1. I introduce a large equation in the block model;…end;.How can i break the large equation in two or three lines.

Say k=(1-delta)*k(-1)… ???

2)I want to introduce a model in exp-logs.So i denote the variables

var n;

parameters eta;

and the n^(eta) i introduce it as eta*exp(n)

Should i repeat n in order to Dynare understand that n is log thus eta*exp(nn) ???

Thanks in advance,

Petros

Hi,

1. Dynare takes everything that is not separated by a semicolon as one line. So you can just wrap around without using the Matlab “…”;. Empty spaces are simply ignored. However, there may be problems if you use tabulators or other special characters to indent the lines. For example:

k=(1-delta)*k(-1) +i;

1. What you do is perform a variable substitution, i.e. you replace all variables x with exp(x), but you do not log-linearize yourself. Hence, n_original^(eta) becomes exp(n)^eta, because in this way, n is implicitly defined as log(n_original) and thus n_original^(eta)=exp(n)^eta. See other forum posts like e.g. [Log-linearization). This also means you do not have to tell Dynare that you performed a substitution.

[quote=“jpfeifer”]Hi,

1. Dynare takes everything that is not separated by a semicolon as one line. So you can just wrap around without using the Matlab “…”;. Empty spaces are simply ignored. However, there may be problems if you use tabulators or other special characters to indent the lines. For example:

k=(1-delta)*k(-1) +i;

1. What you do is perform a variable substitution, i.e. you replace all variables x with exp(x), but you do not log-linearize yourself. Hence, n_original^(eta) becomes exp(n)^eta, because in this way, n is implicitly defined as log(n_original) and thus n_original^(eta)=exp(n)^eta. See other forum posts like e.g. [Log-linearization). This also means you do not have to tell Dynare that you performed a substitution.[/quote]

Many thanks jpfeifer, this was very useful.

Petros