Make check failure with octave on linux?

Hi,

I didn’t see a bug tracker anywhere, but please let me know if I can file a ticket. I’m using Kubuntu 9.10. Downloading the most recent released tar source and running

./configure --disable-matlab
make
make check

Results in the following at the end

Loading 1001 observations from bvar_sample.m

error: singular S
error: called from:
error: /home/skipper/downloads/dynare-4.1.0/matlab/bvar_density.m at line 77, column 5
error: /home/skipper/downloads/dynare-4.1.0/matlab/bvar_density.m at line 36, column 15
error: /home/skipper/downloads/dynare-4.1.0/tests/bvar_a_la_sims/bvar_and_dsge.m at line 90, column 1
error: /home/skipper/downloads/dynare-4.1.0/matlab/dynare.m at line 132, column 1
error: run_test_octave.m at line 39, column 1

make[2]: *** [check-octave] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory /home/skipper/downloads/dynare-4.1.0/tests' make[1]: *** [check-am] Error 2 make[1]: Leaving directory/home/skipper/downloads/dynare-4.1.0/tests’
make: *** [check-recursive] Error 1

I can provide more detailed build logs or version information if it would help.

Cheers,

Skipper

Hi,

This is a known problem when using Netlib BLAS instead of ATLAS. In this case there is a matrix which is nearly singular, which is considered as singular by Netlib implementation of BLAS, but not by ATLAS.

By the way, I encourage you to install ATLAS, which has better performances.

Best

Thanks for the reply. Is there a way to mark and skip a known failure? I have ATLAS 3.8.3 installed on this machine and the netlib LAPACK 3.1.1 due to issues with another numerical library. I guess I’d still see this failure here then with this setup?

Hi

The quick fix is to edit “tests/Makefile.am” and to remove the MOD file which creates problem from the list at the beginning.

This will be fixed in the future releases of Dynare.

Best