Log-linearization in Dynare

Hi everyone,

I would like to get impulse response functions that are interpretable in term of percentage deviations using Dynare.

To get a loglinearized version, we can, according to Prof. Pfeifer in one of older the posts, either:

1. Do the exp() substitution of every variable;
  2. Invoke the loglinear option;
  3. Define the log-levels as auxiliary variables.

The capital accumulation function has general form:

k_t = (1 - \delta_k) k_{t - 1} + i_t

Does exp() substitution imply the following:

\mathrm{exp}(k_t) = (1 - \delta_k) \mathrm{exp}(k_{t - 1}) + \mathrm{exp}(i_t)

Which lead to getting impulse response functions that are interpretable in term of percentage deviations or am I getting it wrong?

Yes, that is correct. But that implies that you substitute everywhere for k and i. It usually easier to append

log_y=log(y)

or, starting in Dynare 6, you can use var(log) k i to automatically append LOG_y and LOG_k.

1 Like

Thank you so much Prof. Pfeifer for your answer. I have some additional questions if you don’t mind:

1. Do we mean by append here, log substitution similar to exp substitution (instead of log_y = log_y - log_y_ss)? and in what way is it easier?
  2. After the exp or log substitution, should we let stoch_simul in its default settings?
  3. In case we let the model in its non-linear form without any form of substitution, will invoking the loglinear option in stoch_simul be enough to get irfs in term of percentage deviations? if so, in what way the substitution techniques are better?

Please have a look at

1 Like

Thank you so much Prof. Pfeifer for the detailed explanation. I’m forever grateful.