Installation error with homebrew

Hi!
I try to install dynare by using brew. CLT is updated, but it already starts with the command
brew install dynare
because then i get
Error: dynare: no bottle available!.
Brew advises me to try
brew install --build-from-source dynare instead.
I’ve read that brew install --build-bottle dynare should work as well, but both options give me error messages, which are as following:
ld: library not found for -lquadmath collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status make[3]: *** [quadrature-points] Error 1 make[2]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1 make[1]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1 make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
I am on a M1 Mac with macOS 12.2. xcode-select is version 2392.
Where is my mistake?
Thanks for your help, best, robert

Since i have a matlab license, i did it now this way, even though i really like homebrew and use it for any available software. And i am still interested in a solution!

Could it be that you are trying to build Dynare for M1 here instead of via Rosetta 2?

If you want to compile Dynare from source, we have instructions for that here, both for M1 and Intel architectures.

If you do want to install it via Homebrew, then you need to install the Intel Homebrew package, so basically using the arch -x86_64 prefix:

arch -x86_64 /bin/bash -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/HEAD/install.sh)"

This install Homebrew into /usr/local/homebrew instead of /opt/homebrew. Also you then need to run the Intel Homebrew version, so ideally
arch -x86_64 /usr/local/bin/brew install dynare

However, I would advise to simply stick to our official packages, they work fine both on M1 and Intel.

2 Likes

Thanks! I did it as you’ve advised me to do today and now everything works perfectly fine.