Inexplicable errors by dynare

Hi,

While solving the attached model, dynare is behaving very weird. I am getting errors which I have never seen before. Without making any changes , the error description changes everytime i run the model.

The first set of errors was (which is understandable and rectifiable)
"
MODEL_DIAGNOSTICS: The singularity seems to be (partly) caused by the presence of a unit root
MODEL_DIAGNOSTICS: as the absolute value of one eigenvalue is in the range of ±1e-6 to 1.
MODEL_DIAGNOSTICS: If the model is actually supposed to feature unit root behavior, such a warning is expected,
MODEL_DIAGNOSTICS: but you should nevertheless check whether there is an additional singularity problem.
MODEL_DIAGNOSTICS: The presence of a singularity problem typically indicates that there is one
MODEL_DIAGNOSTICS: redundant equation entered in the model block, while another non-redundant equation
MODEL_DIAGNOSTICS: is missing. The problem often derives from Walras Law.
Error using print_info (line 32)
Blanchard & Kahn conditions are not satisfied: indeterminacy. "

The second set of errors is

“Assertion failed” (Something I have never enquired in the past many years I have been using dynare)

Third and the latest set of errors
“Index exceeds matrix dimensions.” (without making any changes in the mod file the errors suddenly changed from assertion failed to index exceeds matrix dimensions.

Can you please help me find out what is going wrong.

Thanks
Steve

slovakia_june28.mod (7.4 KB)

1 Like

I consistently get an error message about Blanchard-Kahn violations. Given that

There are 11 eigenvalue(s) larger than 1 in modulus 
for 15 forward-looking variable(s)

should check your timing and equations and potentially start from a simpler model that works.

Thank you @jpfeifer. Now I am getting the following error

MODEL_DIAGNOSTICS: No obvious problems with this mod-file were detected.
Index exceeds matrix dimensions.

What is this indicating?

slov_jun29_103am.mod (7.4 KB)

Can anyone please point out why my model does not produce any impulse responses when I give a monetary policy shock?

The model is attached for reference.

slov_jun29_103am.mod (7.6 KB)

But the model produces IRFs.

Professor I think there is definitely something going on here. Your and my experiences with the model are different. Further when I make changes inside the model, results dont change but when I change the size of the shock, the results do change. Above all when I change the name of the file and resave it, everything becomes OK. Its a bit weird. What is wrong with dynare.

Are you working on a cloud drive? Sometimes updating the files is too slow.

No Professor, I am saving files on my computer drive. This is making me doubtful about my results.

That is indeed strange, but without access to the particular machine impossible to debug.

Professor, I am attaching a screenshot while running a mod file of my model in dynare with matlab. I am seeing a time stamp these days which I havent encountered in my previous exercises. I am wondering does it have anything to do with my existing problem.
screenshot_dynare_matlab

Where do these time stamps come from? Did you assign the name?

The time stamps are self generated. I have not assigned them. Since I had to create a new file every time to run my model, I have started giving file names like slov_jul2_11am. Every time I make some changes in the mod file, I have to create a file with a new name and save as. Other wise the changes in the mod file do not get reflected in the model.

Why do you have to create a new file each time you run the model?

Because when I make some changes in the old mod file, the changes in the mod file do not get reflected in the model. Only when I create a new file and save it under a new name, the model runs reflecting the new changes I have made.

But there still is the question why that is happening. Which type of changes do not work?

Even the smallest of changes say addition of an exogenous shock or changing even the size of a shock does not get reflected unless I change the name of the file.

Which Dynare version are you using? Can you check whether after modifying the mod-file, the created m-files have a newer time-stamp?

I am using dynare 4.6.4.
I dont see any time stamp on the two m files that I found. Strangely, I found only two m-files although I have created several (more than two mod-files)
slov_jul2_1113am.m (8.0 KB)
slov_jun28_143pm.m (7.3 KB)

If you are using Dynare 4.6.*, the files created are in the +slov_*_*-subfolders. You need to check those.