Identification: Error message

Hello,

I am getting the following error message when using the command “identification”:

[quote]Attempted to access idx(1); index out of bounds because numel(idx)=0.

Error in vnorm (line 72)
dim = idx(1);

Error in identification_analysis (line 238)
siLREnorm = vnorm(quant).*normaliz1(offset+1:end);

Error in dynare_identification (line 259)
[idehess_point, idemoments_point, idemodel_point, idelre_point, derivatives_info_point] = …

Error in Error_message (line 199)
dynare_identification(options_ident);

Error in dynare (line 120)
evalin(‘base’,fname) ;
[/quote]

I have attached the mod-file and the data. Does anyone know what the problem is?

I am thankful for any help,
regards,
Niklas
data.zip (9.54 KB)
Error_message.mod (1.38 KB)

Hello,

I boiled down the problem to a simple AR(1) process and still get the same error message as above. Yet, I still don’t know why. There must be an obvious reason. Maybe someone can see the problem.
Here the mod.file:

[code]var a;
varexo e;

parameters rho a_ss;
rho = 0.9;
a_ss = 1;

model;
a=(1-rho)a_ss+rhoa(-1)+e;
end;

initval;
a=a_ss;
end;

steady;
check;

shocks;
var e = 1;
end;

stoch_simul(order = 1, irf=20);

estimated_params;
rho, 0.8, beta_pdf, 0.8, 0.1;
end;

varobs a;

identification;[/code]

Any help would be highly appreciated,
Regards,
Niklas

Hi,

I am fixing the bug and let you know asap
Marco

Dear Marco,

thank you very much!

Maybe the following observation might help: If I simply add the AR(1) process a=(1-rho)a_ss+rhoa(-1)+e to e.g. your test mod.file Kim(2003) as an additional line, but without observing the variable a, the identification tolbox correctly reports that the smoothing paramater cannot be identified. Once I comment out the model Kim(2003), I get the error message from above again, although the model and the AR(1) process were not related to each other.

Best,
Niklas

Hi there,

I have fixed the bug. This happens when there is only one estimated parameter.
The bug fix is pushed to the git repository, but I also attach the relevant files to be upodated in the matlab folder for version 4.3.1. Please tell me if you have further problems.

Marco
identification_analysis.m (14.3 KB)
getJJ.m (5.03 KB)

Dear Marco,

thank you very much for your help!
Is is it right that I just have to replace the old identification_analysis.m and getJJ.m files in my dynare 4.3.1\matlab folder to fix the bug? I did this, but I still get the same error message. I also downloaded and installed version 4.3.1 again and still get the same error message.

Best,
Niklas

Indeed you should replace the routines in the distribution package of 4.3.1 with the ones I sent.
My guess is that you have multiple dynare versions in your path so that matlab is using an older set of routines?
Anyhow the routines I attached work with the example you sent me.

best
Marco