Error "Invalid MEX-file" in unstable version

Some days ago I’ve started working with the latest issue of the unstable version: “master-2017-05-12-ae50f25”

Now, in a model run that was successful under version 4.4.3, I get the following error message about an “invalid MEX-file”. What is going on here?

[quote]Invalid MEX-file ‘M:\p_HerzSaffier\Dynare\4.5\matlab…\mex\matlab\win64-7.8-9.2\mjdgges.mexw64’: Error performing inpage
operation.

Error in dyn_first_order_solver (line 216)
[err, ss, tt, w, sdim, dr.eigval, info1] = mjdgges(E, D, DynareOptions.qz_criterium, DynareOptions.qz_zero_threshold);

Error in stochastic_solvers (line 264)
[dr,info] = dyn_first_order_solver(jacobia_,M_,dr,options_,task);

Error in resol (line 144)
[dr,info] = stochastic_solvers(dr,check_flag,M,options,oo);

Error in check (line 73)
[dr,info,M,options,oo] = resol(1,M,options,oo);

Error in estimate_v6_7_combi (line 1488)
oo_.dr.eigval = check(M_,options_,oo_)
[/quote]

Which operating system?

Operating system is Windows 7.

I googled the error message and it mostly turns up problems related to the harddisk: tech-faq.com/error-performing-inpage-operation.html
I am not sure this is a Dynare problem.

Part of the problem is that I have two instances of Matlab open. I now noticed that in one of the instances, everything runs fine, whereas in the other instance (even if the first is not busy currently), I get the “Invalid MEX-file” message.

This seems related to Dynare at least in so far that everything runs fine (in both instances of Matlab) with Dynare 4.4.3.

Strange. Which Matlab version are you using? And does the problem occur in a predictable way? Or does it disappear after a reboot.

Matlab R2017a. – I’ll keep experimenting and will let you know whether the problem disappears or a systematic pattern emerges.

This may take some days. At the moment I’m happy that one of the Matlab-instances does the job.

It may have to do with Matlab’s new JIT compiler, which complicates using routines in simultaneously running Matlab sessions

After restarting everything, the error does not occur any more.

Thanks for having a look into the issue.