dynareFindSteadyState: prototype aid finding steady states

prototype software tool for computing steady states.
I am distributing this version in the hope that you will find it useful in its current state and so that you might give me feedback that will help me improve the tool.

the pdf file contains installation and usage instructions for the zip file.

the matlab functions in dynareFindSteadyState adapt some strategies form global optimization in an attempt to provide a robust tool for characterizing a range of initial guesses and for exploring those initial guesses.
dynareFindSteadyState.zip (185 KB)
gmSteady.pdf (99.6 KB)

hello,

I just installed a dynare 4 version but the algorithm does not seem to work. I get the following output after typing isDynareFindSteadyStateOK:

isDynareFindSteadyStateOK: i will temporaritly cd to C:\work\new stuff\dynareFindSteadyStateDist
fssInput object:
show func iterations?:false
max time:10
max iterations:100
anRSpec:default range: lower bound: useDefault – upper bound: useDefault
specific variable range(s) if any:
model name:example1

Total computing time : 00:00:00
active dynare model=example1
the bounds
Y: 0 1
C: 0 1
K: 0 1
A: 0 1
H: 0 1
B: 0 1
Direct FYI: max fcn evals was binding constraint
113 init vals to try
failed to compute steady state

ans =

fssInput object:

ans =

There were PROBLEMS: SUCCESS-NOT

isDynareFindSteadyStateOK: now, i will cd back to C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Administrator\Eigene Dateien\MATLAB

sorry for the problem.
dynareFindSteadyState uses a set of matlab programs that were not included in the zip file.
i’ve attached two zip files and associated installation instructions.

the other set of programs may be of independent interest. they are
matlab programs for solving linear ratex problems along with code for
convering between gensys(Chris Sims program) and my program for solving these types of problems.

i hope you’ll give the installation another try.

let me know if i can be of assistance.

thanks for your interest.

gary
gensysToAMA.zip (799 KB)
gmSteady.pdf (133 KB)
dynareFindSteadyState.zip (226 KB)

hi, I attempted to install FindSteadyState and got the same message, I downloaded the second zip file. What can I do?

Thank you!

two files need modification in order to run with the current dynare version( downloaded from the website 1/12).
i have attached the two files.

btw. i am interested in collecting example models with difficult to obtain steady states.
i would appreciate receiving any example model files you could supply.
models which stump the existing code would be most welcome as
1)they will help me improve the existing code
2)i am currently developing an alternative approach that expect will be more robust
dynareAMACheck.m (1.24 KB)
dynareFindSteadyState.m (7.79 KB)

Hi! Thank you for your answer, I have downloaded the program and apparently it works although I have not found the steady state of the model yet. If you are interested in hard to compute models I hope you have time to give this one a look. It is a two sector economy with three exogenous shocks.

Thank you for everything,

Mars
apio.mod (2.32 KB)

Hi. Thanks for the invaluable contribution and meeting the need of the new users. I have installed the the zip files but the problem of finding the steady state does not seem to go away. I suggest you repackage these zip files and all the helping files into one integrated file. I think this way the entire dynare community will appreciate it.

olayenidynare

I have tried using this file (dynareFindSteadyState.m) to compute the steady state for the model contained in the attached .mod file.

I have tried executing it as follows:

dynare Bank
dyanreFindSteadyState

But I get the following error:

??? Error using ==> dynareFindSteadyState at 35
dynareFindSteadyState:algortihm input specification failed

Any assistance would be appreciated. Also, what is the best/simplest way to calculate the steady state values (to use in initval) without doing it by hand?
Bank.mod (9.77 KB)

Hi Dear
I download code but when i write “isDynareFindSteadyStateOK”, i see "There were PROBLEMS: SUCCESS-NOT
isDynareFindSteadyStateOK: now, i will cd back to D:\Tools…"
pleasee help if you can

Hi Dear
when i writ “dynareFindSteadyState”, after some second, i see this message;
"
failed to compute steady state
ans =
fssInput object:
"
Please help me if you can
i should say that when i write “isDynareFindSteadyStateOK” i see that “There were PROBLEMS: SUCCESS-NOT
isDynareFindSteadyStateOK: now, i will cd back to D:\Tools\Economic Software\Daynare…”