Dynare++ Crash


i’m trying to use Croce’s Long Run Risk .mod File with Dynare++ and higher orders. Order 5 works without problems, but on order 6 and higher Dynare++ (4.4.3) crashes. As this happens under Windows 10 and Mac Os Yosemite on different machines (calling from Matlab or Console), i’m wondering where the error comes from. The Error message is:

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application’s support team for more information.
terminate called after throwing an instance of ‘std::bad_alloc’
what(): std::bad_alloc

Obviously some memory allocation goes wrong, but as i’m not into C++, i’m wondering if anyone experienced the same problems. The Journal file doesn’t shed light on the issue for me, since it simply ends with

2695.01:E00905:-1.:-0.00:000000: Performing step for order = 6

Yesterdays unstable release doesn’t change the problem.

Thanks for ideas and sharing your experiences,

Approx_10.mod (4.41 KB)

This is a memory problem. With order=7, my 16GB RAM are not sufficient.

So order = 6 works on 16 Gb? Interestingly, ressource monitoring does not show anything suspicious, only half of my RAM is used while Dynare++ runs.
Thanks for the reply.

I mistyped. Order 6 did not work. We will investigate this issue further.

As i’m following the discussion on GitHub, here are some clarifying remarks:

  • I did not compile myself and tried the stable and unstable release
  • Under MacOS the error message is:

dynare++(598,0xb0185000) malloc: *** mach_vm_map(size=2615975936) failed (error code=3)
*** error: can’t allocate region
*** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug

  • The errors happen by calling from console/matlab
  • Under MacOS RAM usage is only around 4 Gb, where at maximum 500 mb comes from Dynare++
  • I tried running on a Windows machine with 16 Gb too and it crashed again.