Calculating the Fisher Information

Hi all,

I’m working with a small DSGE model and looking to calculate the Fisher information (i.e. negative expectation of the second derivative of the log likelihood) at a given parameter value. I’d prefer to avoid doing this by Monte-Carlo integration, but haven’t been able to find tools to calculate the information directly in Dynare. Is this implemented in any version of Dynare/ is there code available for the purpose?

If not, does anyone have recommendations on what approach to use? I’ve seen papers (e.g. Iskrev (2008) and his references) on some of the steps needed to calculate the information, but Iskrev deals only with the problem of finding the information for the structural parameters once you already have the information for the state-space models, and it seems that there are a number of approaches to deriving the information for the state-space, all of which are quite involved.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Isa

Hi Isa, We are progressing on this issue. The next version of Dynare (4.3) should have a mechanism to get the information matrix.
Best, Stéphane.

OK, thank you very much Stephane.

Isa