Bandpass filter stoch_simul

Dear Johannes,

If I use bandpass filtered data to do Bayesian estimation with 4.4.3 version dynare ( I know you do not recommend bandpass filter since it is two sided, but I have to try this now…), then I calibrate the model parameters with posterior means and to see theoretical moments, like unconditional variance decomposition and standard deviation… How should I write the stoch_simul demand? ( I mean that, if use hp-filter,then stoch_simul command should include hp_filter=1600, then How about bandpass filter?)

Juststoch_simul(order=1);would be wrong?

Could you please give me some hint?

Many thanks in advance,
Catherine

If you know what your are doing, estimating with bandpass-filtered data is ok.
Regarding generating bandpass-filtered theoretical moments from the stoch_simul-command: that is not possible with Dynare 4.4.3. In the unstable version, to be released as 4.5, you have a bandpass_filter option. See github.com/DynareTeam/dynare/blob/master/tests/moments/example1_bp_test.mod

[quote=“jpfeifer”]If you know what your are doing, estimating with bandpass-filtered data is ok.
Regarding generating bandpass-filtered theoretical moments from the stoch_simul-command: that is not possible with Dynare 4.4.3. In the unstable version, to be released as 4.5, you have a bandpass_filter option. See github.com/DynareTeam/dynare/blob/master/tests/moments/example1_bp_test.mod[/quote]

Many thanks Johannes. I have tried to use unstable version with bandpass_filter option and got the bandpass filtered** unconditional variance decomposition. stoch_simul(order=1,irf=0,bandpass_filter=[6 32], conditional_variance_decomposition=[1,4,8,16,24]). However , it seems that dynare does NOT report bandpass filterd conditional **variance decomposition.

Could you please tell me how to see bandpass filtered conditional variance decomposition in the unstable version?

Kind regards,
Catherine

Dear Catherine,
this functionality is not supported and I am not sure there is an easy way to get a theoretical filtered conditional variance decomposition (I have never seen anything like this). Dynare also does not provide this for the hp_filter option.

Dear Johannes,

I was wondering if there is an option in Dynare to run different band-pass filters in the same stochastic simulation? I am looking at a model with a business and financial cycle, and want to filter the variables which are relevant to each in a different way (for example 8-32 quarters for GDP and 16-64 quarters for household debt). I am able to run a band-pass filter as normal, but do not see an option to vary the filter across variables. Any advice you might have would be most appreciated!

Best regards,

Daniel

Unfortunately, that is not possible. If you are dealing with theoretical moments, you can simply run two stoch_simul-commands in the same mod-file with different values for the bandpass. If you are dealing with simulated moments, you need to do the filtering either manually, or run two commands again while resetting the seed for the random number generator.