Ramsey policy(two instruments)

Dear Johannes,

I was reading through many of the Ramsey-posts and also the documentation. So, as I understand, it is a relatively new feature, that the order=2 option can be used, as it is not documented yet (see https://github.com/DynareTeam/dynare/pull/872/files).

1. If I can make a suggestion, I think the explanations in lines 6725ff are not entirely clear. Yes, the Dynare command ramsey_policy with order=1 should not be confused with the LQ approach. However, I think that for the order=1 option it is not necessarily true that “the second order terms that are required for a second-order correct welfare evaluation are preserved.” (as it is stated in lines 6731f). This is at least how I understand SGU (2007, p. 1704) where they state that “any plausible departure from the set of simplifying assumptions … would require approx. the equilibrium conditions to second order.” And this is probably also the reason why the order=2 option was implemented in Dynare?

2. Does the order=2 feature also help with the problem discussed here Ramsey policy is not optimal, i.e., the problem of the distorted steady state?

3. What does it mean “what is not yet implemented is the evaluation of the planner_objective . The values reported are still only valid at first order.”? That I cannot not get the 2nd order welfare for Ramsey policy, i.e., that I cannot conduct an analysis of the welfare losses from using optimal simple rules instead as in SGU (2007)?
    petiteelf writes
    welf = -(1/(1-beta))C_ssPhi_l*(eta/2)*L_ss^(eta-1)oo_.var(2,2);
    and jpfeifer replies to that “in your code above, you compute welfare analytically based on the variance of the endogenous variables”.
    I see that (1/(1-beta))C_ssPhi_l
    (eta/2)*L_ss^(eta-1) is the steady state of welfare. But which variance is oo_.var(2,2)? And which kind of welfare would be calculated here? Unconditional?

Thank you very much for clarification!

1 Like