Policy frontier

Dear Sir

Thank you for your reply. However, when I am coding these parameters in steady state model (as you did) , the dynare is giving me Waring as
%%
MODEL_DIAGNOSTICS: The Jacobian of the static model contains Inf or NaN. The problem arises from:

Derivative of Equation 15 with respect to Variable ygap (initial value of ygap: 0)
Derivative of Equation 15 with respect to Variable wgap (initial value of wgap: 0)
Derivative of Equation 40 with respect to Variable wgap (initial value of wgap: 0)
Derivative of Equation 13 with respect to Variable wigap (initial value of wigap: 0)
Derivative of Equation 14 with respect to Variable wigap (initial value of wigap: 0)
Derivative of Equation 16 with respect to Variable wigap (initial value of wigap: 0)
Derivative of Equation 20 with respect to Variable wigap (initial value of wigap: 0)
Derivative of Equation 13 with respect to Variable wegap (initial value of wegap: 0)
Derivative of Equation 14 with respect to Variable wegap (initial value of wegap: 0)
Derivative of Equation 17 with respect to Variable wegap (initial value of wegap: 0)
Derivative of Equation 20 with respect to Variable wegap (initial value of wegap: 0)
Derivative of Equation 40 with respect to Variable wegap (initial value of wegap: 0)
Derivative of Equation 15 with respect to Variable sgap (initial value of sgap: 0)
Derivative of Equation 16 with respect to Variable cigap (initial value of cigap: 0)
Derivative of Equation 17 with respect to Variable cegap (initial value of cegap: 0)
Derivative of Equation 16 with respect to Variable nigap (initial value of nigap: 0)
Derivative of Equation 38 with respect to Variable nigap (initial value of nigap: 0)
Derivative of Equation 17 with respect to Variable negap (initial value of negap: 0)
Derivative of Equation 38 with respect to Variable negap (initial value of negap: 0)

MODEL_DIAGNOSTICS: The problem most often occurs, because a variable with
MODEL_DIAGNOSTICS: exponent smaller than 1 has been initialized to 0. Taking the derivative
MODEL_DIAGNOSTICS: and evaluating it at the steady state then results in a division by 0.
MODEL_DIAGNOSTICS: If you are using model-local variables (# operator), check their values as well.
%%
No such warning is coming if I have model parameters as parameters or as local variables.
At the same time the optimal value is still not same as when I am running them individually.
Can you please help me this.

Thanks in advance.

I would need to see the files.

Thank you very much for your help Sir. I am still in bit of trouble. I am running modified mod file with steady state model block separately and one time within loop by changing the value of f.
When run separately at value of f = 0.5, the optimal value is 0.68 and 0.89.
But when run within the loop, at f=0.5, the optimal value is 0.66 and 0.96.
Is this ok to have this kind of difference ?
Is this because of some kind of optimisation problem ? I am also getting
Warning:Non-Finite fitness range.
In Cmaes at 974
In dynare _minimize_objective at 360
In Osrl at 132

I am using opt_algo=9 in my code.
I will be very helpful for comment on this.
Thanks in Advance

Yes, that is strange and you should investigate this.

Hi, Prof Pfeifer, I add your above code to my mod file and I have the following error:

PP.mod (11.4 KB)

ERROR PP.driver (line 675)
var_piH(grid_iter)=oo_.var(piH_pos_var_list_,piH_pos_var_list_);

ERROR dynare (line 281)
evalin(‘base’,[fname ‘.driver’]);

Thanks.

You are trying to read out piH, but you only requested pi as an output:

osr(opt_algo=9) ygap pi;

Thanks a lot ! I was careless. I modified the model and it works now.However ,I am confused about a question.In command window , there is:
OPTIMAL VALUE OF THE PARAMETERS:

phiy          31.7588

phipi           38.978

phiq          8.11791

rho1                0

Objective function : 0.000193508
But in oo_.osr.optim_params ,there is :
b82e78eaa7c31bd9c69405b7da982df
Then, for my above model, which are the optimal parameters?

That depends. You have a loop iterating over parameters at the end. The workspace will contain the results after that loop.

Specifically, I hope to get the following figure and table:

After I run the above model file ,I get a figure:

I think I get the same figure as above one that I uploaded earlier:

I am not sure whether I am correct. Still, I have no idea about how I can get the data in the table:for example,for every parameter weight ,the corresponding OSR parameters and variance ( used for computing loss ),etc.Where can I find them?

1 Like

You are currently doing a loop where you compute the optimal rule parameters for each weight. You simply need to extract the results from oo_.osr.optim_params at each step.

Thanks. Now I use OSR to compute optimal simple rule for A given value of the objective function weight. Then I change the objective function weight manually and can get what I want.
Now I have another problem:After I run my above model file, I get a curve that slopes upwards to the right . It seems strange to me, cause I haven’t seen this kind of shape for Taylor curve. So, is there something wrong with my model?

PP.mod (11.4 KB)
However ,I got a normal shape Taylor curve for the first time,like:

The only difference is that there is multiple shocks for the first time, but one shock for this time.

With one shock, divine coincidence many hold, which would explain the figure.

Prof Pfeifer, How can I put two Taylor curves in a figure ,like

The optimization parameters are, osr_params phiy phipi (say, standard rule) and osr_params phiy phipi phiq rho1, respectively.
I already uploaded my mod file, see PP.mod.
Thank you for your continuous guidance and help.

You need to run the two sets of optimization over the respective grids, save the results, and then combine the plots in Matlab. This is not a Dynare-specific issue.

I have the same idea, but I don’t know what to save.
About my code,can you tell me what to save?
optim_weights;
pi 1;
y 0.5;

end;
osr_params phiy phipi ;

osr_params_bounds;
phiy, 0, 5;
phipi, 1, 5;

end;

osr(opt_algo=9) y pi;

% make loop silent
options_.nofunctions=1;
options_.nocorr=1;
options_.noprint=1;
options_.irf=0;
options_.silent_optimizer=1;

options_.osr.opt_algo=9;

% find position of variables in variable_weights
y_pos=strmatch(‘y’,M_.endo_names,‘exact’);
pi_pos=strmatch(‘pi’,M_.endo_names,‘exact’);

% find position of variables in var_list_
y_pos_var_list_=strmatch(‘y’,var_list_,‘exact’);
pi_pos_var_list_=strmatch(‘pi’,var_list_,‘exact’);

weight_grid=0:0.01:1;
n_grid_points=length(weight_grid);
var_y=NaN(n_grid_points,1);
var_pi=NaN(n_grid_points,1);
for grid_iter=1:n_grid_points
M_.osr.variable_weights(pi_pos,pi_pos) = weight_grid(grid_iter);
M_.osr.variable_weights(y_pos,y_pos) = 1-weight_grid(grid_iter);
oo_.osr = osr(var_list_,M_.osr.param_names,M_.osr.variable_indices,M_.osr.variable_weights);
if oo_.osr.error_indicator==0
var_y(grid_iter)=oo_.var(y_pos_var_list_,y_pos_var_list_);
var_pi(grid_iter)=oo_.var(pi_pos_var_list_,pi_pos_var_list_);
end
end
figure
plot(var_y,var_pi)

var_y and var_pi store the variances.

Thanks!