Dynarewp036.m syntax error >>> 

I’m trying to run the mod file for dynare working paper 36 (“Tax Reduction Policies of the Productive Sector and Its Impacts on Brazilian Economy”), but when I do I get the following error:

error: invalid character '∩' (ASCII 239) near line 226, column 2
parse error near line 226 of file dynarewp036.m

syntax error

>>> 
    ^

error: called from:
error:   c:\dynare\4.4.3\matlab\dynare.m at line 180, column 1

I haven’t made any changes to the .mod file, and I’m using Dynare 4.4.3 and Octave 3.8.4. There’s nothing in the .mod file itself that is jumping out at me as being a problem, any thoughts on what could be causing this? As a note, opening dynarewp036.m and deleting line 226 does nothing, Dynare just re-creates the file with the same error when you run dynarewp036.mod again.

Files are attached.

Thank you in advance for your comments!
dynarewp036.m (10.9 KB)
dynarewp036.mod (5.59 KB)

Immediately in the first line of your model file before the comment slashes (//) there are a few weird characters:

Please delete them.

What program are you using to look at the mod file? I checked it in Notepad, Notepad++ (ANSI, UTF-8 without BOM, UTF-8, and OEM 860: Portuguese encodings), GNU emacs-24.5, gvim 7.4 and Octave 3.8.2 and those characters aren’t showing up for me in the first line in any of those programs.

*I copied the file to another program, omitting the first couple of characters to prevent carrying those invisible characters over and it works. Strange that I can’t see those though.

I used Matlab