0/0 eigenvalue problem

I’m using dynare 4.2.4 and get similar problems in the latest release of dynare++.

Bascially, I wanted to check if moving from a levels to a log-approximation would reduce the Euler equation residuals I’m getting. Since all my variables were positive I changed all occurrences of x (where x stands for an arbitrary variable name) to exp(x) and modified the SS block accordingly. That procedure leads the model to stop working (the modified SS works nicely). In particular Dynare++ reports:

which used to be the error in previous versions of dynare, but as of 4.2.4 I’m getting the following:

Of course, I found the above surprising, as (to the best of my knowledge) the variables in which a model is written should have no impact on its local stability. To try and track the source of this error, I therefore started logging variables one by one and inspecting the model eigenvalues. Out of the 22 eigenvalues in my model 20 are unaffected by the transformations (as should be the case). However, two eigenvalues are not constant, and their values fluctuate somewhat. More specifically, for the original model I had:

[ul]EIGENVALUES:
Modulus Real Imaginary
1.313e-016 -1.313e-016 0
6.276e-015 6.276e-015 0 [/ul]

Then after logging one variable that changed to:

[ul]EIGENVALUES:
Modulus Real Imaginary

2.053e-017      -2.053e-017                0			
  2.282e-015      -2.282e-015                0		[/ul]

and a few variables down the road the whole thing suddenly stops working (and I get the errors mentioned above)… So my take on this is that dynare is picking up / carrying arround some numerical noise (i.e. these eigenvalues should for all practical purposes equal zero) which leads to very imprecisely computed eigenvalues (and ultimately either to errors in their computed values (which are reported as BK condition violations), or the 0/0 message and in effect a refusal to compute those).

So my question is whether the story sounds plausible and whether anybody can think of a way around the problem (somehow forcing dynare to truncate values after 12 decimal places, perhaps???).

Thanks in advance for your help, happy to post the codes if anyone thinks they may be helpful.
Pawel

Hi, could you please post the mod-file.

Hi,

DPZ_phi1phi2phi4phi5.mod - no longer works.
DPZ_phi1phi4phi5.mod - still does work ok.

The only difference is (or should be) the fact that phi2 appears in logs in the first (but not second) file.

Please let me know if anything is unclear and thanks for your help.
Pawel

EDIT (03/03/2012): Files now removed, as problem has been solved below.

For the model with phi2 in logs, Dynare complains:

It could be that there is a numerical problem as phi2 has a steady state of 8e-17 and thus is close to 0 and you are now taking logs of approximately 0. However, before you accept this explanation, make sure there is no deeper issue involved. Such an issue could also involve the model in levels!

Thanks a lot jpfeifer!

As you rightly (and very politely) point out, I was being rather stupid: logging something that is zero, is hardly ever a good idea.

Undeniably I should have eyeballed the SS values to begin with (which I thought I had…). So if there are any lessons to be learnt from this, I guess, it’s that sometimes problems with the steady state (which is what this was) can show up as errors in unexpected places. Which, btw., is not to say that the rest of the model is free of problems :wink:

The final thing that I find slightly surprising is that we’re getting slightly different error messages, i.e. you don’t seem to be getting the one I was:

Are you using a different version of dynare (I’m on 4.2.4) or is it perhaps some extra diagnostic command that’s giving you yours (both *check *and *stochsimul *give me the above)?

Thanks again,
Pawel

I got the same error message, but used the (unfortunately yet undocumented) model diagnostics command:

Good to know - thanks a lot!
Pawel

Hi,

I got the same message (One of the eigenvalues is close to 0/0 (the absolute value of numerator and denominator is smaller
than 1e-6)). If I try to correct it in the way jpfeifer proposes (model_diagnostics(M_,options_,oo_)), I get the following message:

“Index exceeds matrix dimensions”

do you have an idea why this is still not working? And do you know whether documentation has become available on this command in the meantime?

Thanks

Did you check your steady state values? In my case the problem ended up being there… (and I’ve had it once since, and again it was a problem with the SS).

Hope this helps,
p

hello~~I got same problem.
I try to find the real S-S value to be the initial value
but still have the same problem…
When I use "model_diagnostics(M_,options_,oo_)"
Dynare show:
The following endogenous variables aren’t present at the current period in the model:
ke
kes
model_diagnostic: the Jacobian of the static model is singular
there is 3 colinear relationships between the variables and the equations
Relation 1
Colinear variables:
ch
L
I
ce
omn
k
ke
w
p
ph
phs
chs
Ls
Is
ces
omns
ks
kes
ws
ps
pf
pfs
s
Relation 2
Colinear variables:
ch
L
I
ce
omn
k
ke
w
p
ph
phs
ps
pf
pfs
s
Relation 3
Colinear variables:
ch
L
I
ce
omn
k
ke
w
p
ph
phs
ps
pf
pfs
s
Relation 1
Colinear equations
1 14 28 29 36 37 38

Relation 2
Colinear equations
1 14 28 29 36 37 38

Relation 3
Colinear equations
1 14 28 29 36 37 38

what’s the meaning of that?
reation1=relation2=relation3??
Can someone teach me? Thanks!!!

it was indeed steady state values that could not be uniquely identified by Dynare, program works now.