Segmentation Fault

Dear all,
I have installed dynare in my two Macs (iMac and Macbook Pro) and I receive the same error when I try to run a .mod file.
I have tried to run the example1.mod that you can find in the example directory.

In both computer I am running the version OS X - 10.7.5

Is there any way I can solve this problem and let dynare work?

Thanks for your help

Can you copy and paste the Dynare output for me?

What version of Matlab are you using?

I am running the R2012a version of matlab

Here is the error message:

dynare example1.mod

Configuring Dynare …
[mex] Generalized QZ.
[mex] Sylvester equation solution.
[mex] Kronecker products.
[mex] Sparse kronecker products.
[mex] Local state space iteration (second order).
[mex] Bytecode evaluation.
[mex] k-order perturbation solver.
[mex] k-order solution simulation.
[mex] Quasi Monte-Carlo sequence (Sobol).
[mex] Markov Switching SBVAR.

“/MATLAB/Dynare/4.3.1/matlab/dynare_m” example1.mod: Segmentation fault
Error using dynare (line 114)
DYNARE: preprocessing failed

Hello Rob,

I have the same problem. Do you solve it?

Best Regards,


I’ll get back to you guys over the next few days about this.


Same problem occured with my mac too,
Thanks for your help in advance.


Thanks for updating me. It is useful to know actually what system you’re running on:

OS Version: e.g. 10.7.5
Architecture: e.g. 64 bit
Matlab version: e.g. R2012a


OS: Mac OS X - 10.7.5

MATLAB: R2012a - 64 bit

os version : 10.7.4
matlab version : R2011b-64bit



Solving this problem is made a bit difficult by the fact that I don’t have a computer with 10.7 to actually test on.

So, perhaps you’d be my willing guinea pigs? Please download dynare_m from here:

Copy it to your /Applications/Dynare/4.3.1/matlab folder

And try dynare example1.mod again

Please tell me whether or not this works for you. Thanks.

It still does not work for me.
Same error message

nor do i. still doesn’t work for me too.


Until I can figure out what the problem is, you can use the /Applications/Dynare/4.3.0/matlab/dynare_m file. That way, you can still use some of the non-preprocessor bug fixes that were created in the 4.3.1 release (i.e. not ifdef, ifndef, and ohters…see: )

The other option is to upgrade to 10.8.

When I fix this, I’ll make a post here (hopefully in the next few days).

Dear Houtan,

Thankyou very much for all your help along the way. Things work for me after I install 10.8.
Thanks heaps!


Hi Vorada,

No problem. Sorry that you had to upgrade just for this.

I’m still working on the problem…Apple changed a lot of programming tools with the upgrade to OS X 10.8 and XCode 4.5 and it’s just taking a bit of time to figure out exactly what has changed and how that’s causing things to break on 10.7. I’m curious to know if dynare works on 10.6, though I doubt it…

Likewise, with the actualization to OS 10.8.2 it works. Thanks a lot!

Hi All,

I have updated the Mac Package. It should now work with OS X >= 10.6.

If you downloaded the previous package and it worked (i.e., you are using 10.8), there’s no reason to update. Otherwise, if you are still using 10.6 or 10.7, you should delete your current /Applications/Dynare/4.3.1 directory and download and install the mac package located here:

Dear Houtan,
I have os x 10.6.8 and have the same problem.
I’m not sure if I should upgrade or not!!!

Yes, please do as I said above:

[ul]1) Delete your Dynare 4.3.1 folder
2) Download the stable package from the site
3) Install it[/ul]

If it still does not work, please tell me.

now working.
Thanks Houtan,