Problems with mjdgges.m

Salut, Mr. Julliard:

I’ve downloaded the dynarev_4 to my computer, wich has Windows Vista and Matlab 7.0.4. While running a file, it appears constantly the following errors:

??? Error: File: mjdgges.m Line: 37 Column: 86
Unexpected MATLAB operator.

Error in ==> dr1 at 288
[ss,tt,w,sdim,dr.eigval,info1] = mjdgges(e,d,options_.qz_criterium);

Error in ==> resol at 87
[dr,info] = dr1(dr,check_flag);

Error in ==> check at 38
[dr, info] = resol(oo_.steady_state,1);

Error in ==> soe1 at 239
check;

Error in ==> dynare at 79
evalin(‘base’,fname) ;

The error in the first file seems to be a ~ which is not recognised as operator. I don’t know how to solve that. A collegue of mine has runned these programs in his computer (with Windows 2003) and had no problemas at all.

Best regards,

David.

Dear David,

I am having exactly the same problem with dynare v4 in a machine with Windows Vista 64 bits and matlab 2007 or 2008.

I thought my problem was because I was using a 64 bit machine with windows Vista for 64 bits. Which Vista are you using the 32 or 64 bit version?

After a lot of attempts suggested by Michel Juillard, we reached the conclusion that the problem was that dynare v4 is compiled in a 32 bit machine with Windows Vista (or XP) for 32 bits, and thus it does not work on a 64 bit machine. However, Michel had made it work on a linux 64 bit machine.

In the end, the only solution he could offer me is that I should try to compile dynare in my machine, but that seems far too complicated for my IT skills. Not to mention the fact that I would probably need to acquire a license for a compiler of c++.

If you know something about compiling in C++ may be you can solve the problem.

Sorry for not being of more help.

Pablo

Dear David,

There was a typo in mjdgges.m (you may obtain a corrected version on svn).

This new matlab file is intended to replace the mex (dll) mjdgges when the user does not have a compiled version or cannot compile it himself from the source. As you saw mjdgges.m (also true for gensylv.m, A_times_B_kronecker_C.m and sparse_hessian_times_B_kronecker_C.m) is not yet ready, that’s why this file is located in the sub folder qz (sub folders gensylv and kronecker for the other matlab files). So it is important to NOT INCLUDE subdirectories :

dynare_V4/matlab/qz ,
dynare_V4/matlab/gensylv , and
dynare_V4/matlab/kronecker

in your matlab path. If you do not include these subfolders in your matlab path, your dynare session should not crash. As you (we) don’t have dlls for windows 64 bits, dynare will use matlab functions and will be slow.

Best,
Stéphane.

[quote=“dmoreno”]Salut, Mr. Julliard:

I’ve downloaded the dynarev_4 to my computer, wich has Windows Vista and Matlab 7.0.4. While running a file, it appears constantly the following errors:

??? Error: File: mjdgges.m Line: 37 Column: 86
Unexpected MATLAB operator.

Error in ==> dr1 at 288
[ss,tt,w,sdim,dr.eigval,info1] = mjdgges(e,d,options_.qz_criterium);

Error in ==> resol at 87
[dr,info] = dr1(dr,check_flag);

Error in ==> check at 38
[dr, info] = resol(oo_.steady_state,1);

Error in ==> soe1 at 239
check;

Error in ==> dynare at 79
evalin(‘base’,fname) ;

The error in the first file seems to be a ~ which is not recognised as operator. I don’t know how to solve that. A collegue of mine has runned these programs in his computer (with Windows 2003) and had no problemas at all.

Best regards,

David.[/quote]

I’ll do as you told me and I’ll reply to tell you if it works.
Bye.