Oscillating IRFs when there is capital adjustment cost

Dear All,

I run into a problem using Dynare and hope you can kindly help me out.

The model has two types of firms constrained by their land value and earnings when borrowing from savers. I think the model is standard. The problem is the IRFs are oscillating when I introduce capital adjustment costs. Without adjustment costs, the IRFs are normal.

I learned from the forum that the typical cause could be a timing issue. But I do not think it is the case here since when I set adjustment costs (iotta in the model) to zero, it works. Maybe I am wrong.

I attached the code and file.

Really appreciate it if anyone could help. Thanks!!!

Best,
Bob

HHLE.mod (3.7 KB) HHLE_steadystate.m (3.0 KB)
Sim.pdf (160.0 KB)

Recheck the FOCs related to the adjustment costs. When these parts drop out from the model, it works. This suggests the problem is there.

Dear Professor Jpfeifer,

Thanks for your reply!! I tried differernt values of the asjustment cost. The larger the iotta, the more oscillating the IRFs are. A small enough iotta makes the IRFs look normal. It is a wired phenomenon. I really have no clue.

I will definitely check the FOCs again following your suggestions. Will there be any other potential reasons for this phenomenon?

Thanks so much!!

Best,
Bob

It might have to do with the optimal economic adjustment in the model, but it is hard to tell. You as the model-builder need to understand the economics.

Dear Professor Jpfeifer,

Thanks for your comments! I will try to figure it out.

Thanks!!

Best,
Bob