Next step toward advanced DSGE

Hello, everyone.
I have finished the text (except the exercises) of first six chapters of Gali(2008), and get some insights into the NK models. but I find it’s hard to add some new components to the standard models for innovations. Maybe I should move to medium-scale DSGE models like SW(2003,2007),CEE(2005), etc. Then I realized there is a gap between them. I once thought that macro researchs begin with modeling and then to see whether the outcomes match the real data. But I found it might be wrong in DSGE research according to some comments in other forums. I’m really confused.
Therefore, I hope professionals here could tell me how the DSGE researchs are carried out, and what I need to do to initiate my own research. I have Structrual Macroeconometrics , shall I have to refer to it ?
Thanks a lot !

I think you are getting research backwards. It is not about modifying model to start research. You start with an economic question and then ask which type of model you need to answer that question.

Oh, it’s exactly what I think before. I can struggle to appreciate what the texts of gali but lack in new ideas which motivate my own research. The models in gali’s book are exquisite but look fragile, it is hard for me to attach something original on them. I ask my adviser who concentrates on macro finance (not DSGE) what I should do, he told me just keep reading. Could you please share me some experience about how to get motivations and transfer them into words and models? Moreover, after gali(2008), which materials shall I turn to for a higher level?

Then you are having the wrong adviser. They are the ones that are supposed to lead you to the research frontier and show you what the big questions are. Reading textbooks is not helpful in this regard. Textbooks can provide you with canonical knowledge you can later refer to. But you will still be far away from the research frontier. Reading current working papers like the NBER WP series in an area that interests you is more promising. You can later on still read up on the required techniques

I’m going to complete my master’s degree next year, so it’s possible for me to turn to another advicer who specializes in DSGE. I’ll follow your suggestions for research.
Thanks a lot for your useful advice!