Mac vs. Windows

Dear users,

I am struggeling with a mod-file.

First of all, I use Dynare 4 on a MacBook with Mac OS X 10.5.6 and MATLAB 7.4.0 (R2007a) Student Version.

I installed Dynare, using the instructions of Christophe Cahn (christophecahn.me/?p=12). And I ensured that in MATLAB I set path to “/Applications/dynare/” and all its subdirectories.

I tried the “example.mod” (that came with Dynare) and everything went perfectly right. Within 1 minute MATLAB produced results including a figure. Then I tried another mod-file from a lecture called “new_perspectives.mod”. This file run on the instructors Windows machine absolute correctly, but failed to run on my machine. (Note that I tried to run the mod-file from the same directory as the “example.mod”.)

I will state the error message below and attache the mod-file. Has anybody an idea, what went wrong?

Many thanks in advance,
Emanuel

The error message is as follows:

EDU>> dynare new_perspectives.mod
Warning: “/Applications/dynare/matlab/qz:” not found in path.

In rmpath at 58
In dynare_config at 83
In dynare at 57
Warning: “/Applications/dynare/matlab/gensylv:” not found in path.
In rmpath at 58
In dynare_config at 83
In dynare at 57
Warning: “/Applications/dynare/matlab/kronecker:” not found in path.
In rmpath at 58
In dynare_config at 83
In dynare at 57
Warning: “/Applications/dynare/matlab/kronecker:” not found in path.
In rmpath at 58
In dynare_config at 83
In dynare at 57

Configuring Dynare …
[mex] Generalized QZ.
[mex] Sylvester equation solution.
[mex] Kronecker products.
[mex] Sparse kronecker products.

“/Applications/dynare/matlab/dynare_m” new_perspectives.mod: Signal 127
Starting Dynare …
Starting preprocessing of the model file …
ERROR: new_perspectives.mod:43.0-16: n is not a parameter

??? Error using ==> dynare at 96
DYNARE: preprocessing failed

new_perspectives.mod (1.79 KB)

Hi

The error message at the end (the one which begins with “ERROR:”) means that in your mod file,
at line 43, between columns 0 and 16, you are using “n” as a parameter, while it is not a parameter…

Indeed at line 43 you are trying to assign a value to “n”, which is an endogenous variable. Such initialization are only allowed for parameters (or for strictly Matlab variables, not used in the model).

Sébastien